The Mexican Caribbean has long been a top tourist destination, known for white sand beaches, and fascinating archeological sites. Yet despite its popularity, the state of Quintana Roo always has something new to offer return visitors. From exciting food and drink experiences to unforgettable activities, there’s always a new discovery waiting to be made in
this Mexican Caribbean paradise.
With a diverse and vibrant culinary scene drawing inspiration from local ingredients and traditional techniques, the Mexican Caribbean is a destination full of flavour. This includes everything from high-end restaurants helmed by top chefs to must-try tacos from tiny streetside stands. One can’t-miss spot for foodies is Mercado 23, a bustling market in downtown Cancun offering fresh seafood and produce, as well as authentic street food snacks (from tamales to tortas). Throughout the region the food will take your vacation
experience to the next level.
Endless outdoor activities
Offering a wide range of activities both on land and in the water, Quintana Roo is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. There are plenty of opportunities for hiking, cycling, zip-lining and horseback riding in the region’s lush jungles and tropical forests. Or if you prefer to be on or in
the water, the crystal-clear waters off the coast of Cozumel and the Riviera Maya boast some of the best snorkeling and scuba diving in the world. Kayaking and paddleboarding are also worthwhile ways to enjoy the stunning coastline and lagoons.
Numerous spas and wellness centers mean ample chances to relax, unwind and rejuvenate in beautiful surroundings, from beachfront retreats to jungle hideaways. Many spas also incorporate traditional Mayan healing techniques, such as herbal baths and temazcal sweat lodges, into their treatments. Some spas even offer a consultation with a Mayan shaman or a cool dip in an authentic cenote to compliment your wellness journey.
Romance in the air
Whether celebrating a honeymoon, anniversary, or just looking forward to a couples getaway, the Mexican Caribbean offers plenty of opportunities to create lasting memories. Sprawling
ocean-front resorts, secluded coves and beautiful beaches mean romantic setting aren’t hard to find–it’s no surprise so many destination weddings take place in the region. A unique
alternative to a beach-set wedding, though, is a cenote. These otherworldly sinkholes filled with crystalline water make for a dramatic setting and envy-inducing photos.
Not every destination sparks a need to return, but the Mexican Caribbean–no matter how many times you visit–always offers something new for the senses.
Escape from your vacation
The well-loved Cancun, Riviera Maya and island of Cozumel offer endless activities to create
the perfect vacation but for those looking to explore more of the region or go off the beaten
path, there are more than a few options that make for a perfect day or overnight detour.
- Isla Holbox is a true island paradise and perfect for going off the grid. (Think no cars, paved roads, or high rises) Spend a night or a few days with your choice of hotels that range from rustic cabins to barefoot luxury. And if you are there from May-September, don’t miss a chance to swim with the whale sharks making their annual migration. Unforgettable!
- Isla Contoy is an uninhabited national park and sanctuary. It’s considered the most important nesting place of sea birds in all of the Mexican Caribbean. A must see for any bird lover.
- Bacalar is a picturesque town located a few hours south of Cancun where you can swim in crystal-clear waters of the lagoon, explore nearby cenotes, or simply relax and take in the stunning scenery.
- Maya Ka’an will give you a glimpse into the historical and cultural legacy of the Mayan people. Less than 2 hours from Tulum, this eco-destination is filled with jungle and coastal lagoons. Explore the nature of UNESCO World Heritage Site, Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve as well as get a taste of traditional Mayan communities.
Latest posts by Sponsored Content (see all)
- Discovering the Magic of Mexico’s Caribbean Coast in Quintana Roo - April 27, 2023
- Give the Gift of Great Food With HelloFresh - November 29, 2022
- Expect the Unexpected at Luxury Mayan Riviera Resort Andaz Mayakoba - November 10, 2022
- Fairmont Mayakoba’s New Beach Club Maykana Takes Seaside Relaxation to a New Level - November 10, 2022
- 6 Reasons to Discover Lesser-Known Puerto Penasco in Mexico - November 10, 2022